Feb 13, 2009

Sour Cream Sugar Cookies

These are the best sugar cookies around. My mom made these every Valentine's Day when I was little and she got the recipe from her friend Becky C. This is how I make them:
Mix these dry ingredients into a large bowl:
2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
4 teaspoons baking powder
4 and a 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon of real sea salt
Then, make a crater in the center of the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients:
1 cup of butter, brought to room temperature
2 eggs that you have beaten
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon real vanilla
Using your hands, mix all ingredients together thoroughly. Put in the refrigerator for 1-3 hours. Then, you will need to sprinkle a generous amount of flour on a flat surface. Flour your rolling pin well and roll the dough out until it is approximately 1/3 to 1/2 inches thick. Cut out the cookies and place on baking sheet. Cook at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes. Do not overcook. Cool cookies completely before frosting them. I like to use a store-bought, cream cheese frosting that I blend with red food coloring for pink, Valentine cookies. Then I like to garnish with SweetHearts candy. These are especially fun for children to frost and decorate themselves.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Tif had the same recipe on her blog yesterday, I made them for my kids' classes today and they were great!

GeNee said...

Your cookies look very good. I find they are a lot of work. But the best sugar cookies