
This chicken turned out pretty juicy. I saw Ina Garten from “Barefoot Contessa” on the FoodNetwork make chicken this way. You fill a pan with red potatoes that you’ve quartered and carrots that you’ve chopped into large pieces. Just stop buying baby carrots. They’re not babies and they’re not good anyway. Just buy the real carrots. Take a whole chicken and put it on the bed you made for it out of vegetables. Open its bottom and pull out the neck or whatever organs the butcher was so thoughtful to leave in there for you. Yuck. Then, take a step back and try to get over the gross thing that just happened. Slice an entire head of garlic in half; don’t even crush the cloves. Slice a beautiful, white onion in quarters. Slice a lemon in half. Then put the garlic, onion, and lemon inside the chicken’s bottom where you took out that gross stuff. You could also shove a handful of fresh Rosemary in there, which I wish I would have remembered to do. Then here’s the most important part: if you want the chicken to brown nicely, take some paper towels and lay them flat over the entire thing. Blot the chicken dry with the towels and then toss the towels. Cover the whole thing in pepper. Drizzle ½ a cup of melted, salted butter all over the chicken’s skin. You won’t eat the skin if you’re wanting a healthful meal; the point of the butter is to keep all the juiciness inside the chicken meat. Cover every inch of the skin (use a brush if you need to). Stick it in the oven at 425 degrees for 90 minutes. The house will smell amazing and you’ll have dinner for 4.
3 comments:
That chicken looks amazing!! Barefoot Contessa is one of my most favorite shows ever, I have never made a recipe of hers that has turned out poorly.
Alicia told me all about this when I visited, and had me watch the Barefoot Contessa make this. It seems really easy, but your guests will think you spent hours in the kitchen. A whole bird scares me. I've never made a turkey for Thanksgiving. The year that happens will mean that I'm officially in my home. Right now my house still just feels like a place we live in.
That sounds wonderful. I will have to try it.
Love, Aunt Lisa
Post a Comment